Categories
World News

Seattle protester struck by car on closed interstate dies

Summer Taylor, 24, was one of two people run over by a speeding vehicle during a demonstration on Saturday.

One of two people hit by a man who drove his car onto a blocked Seattle freeway and then into a crowd protesting police brutality has died.

Summer Taylor, 24, of Seattle died on Saturday evening at Harborview Medical Center, spokesperson Susan Gregg said. 

Diaz Love, 32, of Portland, Oregon, was also hit by the car that ploughed through a panicked crowd of protesters on Interstate 5 (I-5) early on Saturday. She remained in serious condition in the intensive care unit.

A man from Seattle drove the car around vehicles blocking the freeway and sped into the crowd at about 1:40am local time, according to a police report. 

The suspect fled the scene but one of the protesters got into a car, chased him down, and was able to stop the vehicle by pulling in front.

The man was charged with two counts of vehicular assault, although his motive remains unknown and it is not clear if he was targeting the demonstrators. 

He was described by officers as reserved and sullen when arrested and asked if the pedestrians struck were OK, court documents said. 

The highway had been closed for about an hour before the collision – part of continuing racial justice protests that have swept the US following the killing of George Floyd in Minnesota on May 25 after a police officer kneeled on his neck for nearly nine minutes. 

Deadly collision

Love was filming the protest in a nearly two-hour-long Facebook livestream captioned Black Femme March takes I-5 when the video ended abruptly. With about 15 seconds left shouts of “Car!” can be heard as the camera starts to shake before screeching tyres and the sound of the impact are heard.

A graphic video posted on social media showed the white Jaguar racing towards a group of protesters standing behind several parked cars. The vehicle swerves around the others and slams into the two women, sending them flying into the air.

Katelyn Hoberecht, who worked with Taylor at Urban Animal veterinary clinics, told the Seattle Times she was a constant presence at the protests, “staying out all day and night while still working full time taking care of animals”.

“Summer talked to me about the protests and how incredible it was to be a part of something so huge. A part of history,” she said. 

Protesters shut down the highway for 19 days in a row before the deadly incident on Saturday.

The Washington State Patrol said going forward it would not allow demonstrators to enter I-5 and would arrest pedestrians on the freeway.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
Business

Wirecard HQ raided by police as fraud probe gathers pace

Police and prosecutors have raided the headquarters of beleaguered payments firm Wirecard as part of a fraud investigation relating to its £1.7bn accounting black hole.

Officials from Munich carried out searches at four other properties in connection with the company’s activities, according to prosecutors.

They told Reuters they were investigating three other members of the board, in addition to former chief executive Markus Braun who resigned last month after the missing money was disclosed to the market.

A spokeswoman, the news agency reported, identified the three as Alexander von Knoop, Jan Marsalek and Susanne Steidl.

Mr Marsalek is a former director.

They are yet to comment on the developments and there is no detail on any specific allegations.

Wirecard filed for insolvency last month – the first member of Germany’s prestigious DAX share index to do so – but has continued to trade since.

The scandal has resonated across Europe.

It prompted the UK’s City watchdog to secure a freeze on Wirecard’s UK arm, Wirecard Card Solutions, which was said to have prevented thousands of customers from using their payment cards.

The precautionary restriction was introduced on Monday to protect the interests of consumers but lifted the following day.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Judge blocks tell-all by Trump niece – for now

A New York judge has temporarily blocked President Donald Trump’s niece from publishing a damning tell-all memoir about the US first family.

Mary Trump’s upcoming book, Too Much and Never Enough, How My Family Created the World’s Most Dangerous Man, is due to be published on 28 July.

But on Tuesday a judge granted a restraining order to Ms Trump’s uncle, the president’s brother, Robert.

Lawyers for Ms Trump say they will immediately appeal against the ruling.

“The trial court’s temporary restraining order is only temporary but it still is a prior restraint on core political speech that flatly violates the First Amendment,” said her lawyer, Ted Boutrous.

“This book, which addresses matters of great public concern and importance about a sitting president in an election year, should not be supressed even for one day,” he continued.

The book is being published by Simon & Schuster and has already reached fourth place on Amazon’s best-seller list ahead of its release.

A hearing is scheduled in New York’s Dutchess County for 10 July.

Ms Trump, 55, is the daughter of President Trump’s elder brother, Fred Trump Jr, who died in 1981.

The book claims to reveal “a nightmare of traumas, destructive relationships, and a tragic combination of neglect and abuse”.

Robert’s Trump lawyer, Charles Harder, cheered the ruling, saying that “the actions of Mary Trump and Simon & Schuster are truly reprehensible”.

“We look forward to vigorously litigating this case and will seek the maximum remedies available by law for the enormous damages caused by Mary Trump’s breach of contract and Simon & Schuster’s intentional interference with that contract,” Mr Harder said.

“Short of corrective action to immediately cease their egregious conduct, we will pursue this case to the very end.”

Earlier this month, President Trump said that his niece was violating her non-disclosure agreement (NDA) by writing a book.

“She’s not allowed to write a book,” he told Axios, referring to a 20-year legal document she reportedly signed following a dispute over her father’s estate following his death in 2001.

Mr Trump called the NDA a “very powerful one,” adding, “It covers everything.”

What does the book say?

The book was scheduled to hit shelves only weeks before the Republican National Convention, where Mr Trump will accept his party’s nomination to seek a second term.

The memoir will reportedly reveal how Ms Trump supplied the New York Times with confidential documents to print a sprawling investigation into Mr Trump’s personal finances.

The Pulitzer Prize-winning exclusive alleged the president had been involved in “fraudulent” tax schemes and received more than $400m (£316m) in today’s money from his father’s real estate empire.

A lawyer for the president and the White House denied the allegations of fraud and tax evasion made against Mr Trump.

An Amazon blurb for Ms Trump’s book says the author will set out how her uncle “became the man who now threatens the world’s health, economic security and social fabric”.

This is the second book by publisher Simon & Schuster that Mr Trump and his associates are seeking to block.

Earlier this month, the US justice department was denied an injunction to block a memoir by John Bolton, President Trump’s former National Security Adviser.

The Room Where It Happened is due to go on sale later this month. One of the book’s claims is that Mr Trump “pleaded” with the Chinese president to help him win the November 2020 election.

Source: Read Full Article